There’s a difference between having a job and making a difference.
American Express has been making a difference in people’s lives for over 160 years, backing them in moments big and small, granting access, tools, and resources to take on their biggest challenges and reap the greatest rewards.
We’ve also made a difference in the lives of our people, providing a culture of learning and collaboration, and helping them with what they need to succeed and thrive. We have their backs as they grow their skills, conquer new challenges, or even take time to spend with their family or community. And when they’re ready to take on a new careerpath, we’re right there with them, giving them the guidance and momentum into the best future they envision.Because we believe that the best way to back our customers is to back our people.
The powerful backing of American Express.
Don’t make a difference without it.
Don’t live life without it.
With a focus on digitization, innovation, and analytics, the Enterprise Digital Analytics (EDA) team creates central, scalable platforms and customer experiences to help markets across all of these priorities. Charter is to drive scale for the business, and accelerate innovation for both immediate impact as well as long-term transformation of our business. A unique aspect of EDA is the integration of diverse skills across all of its remit. EDA has a very broad range of responsibilities, resulting in a broad range of initiatives around the world.
Cornerstone is American Express’s global Big Data ecosystem and a critical enabler of innovation and growth for the company. This function sits within Enterprise Digital and Analytics Group. The vision for Cornerstone is to centralize data across the company with strong built-in governance, democratize access to a broad user community and optimize company platforms through new synergies.
Purpose of the Role:
The Manager/Senior Manager Enterprise Data Management Office – Metadata role will assist with defining and implementing the strategy, roadmap, training and reporting to help support the overall Metadata Program. Should bring Problem Solving Skills to the table (Information Seeking, Analytical Thinking and Being Proactive)
• Act as an advocate and subject matter expert to support the implementation of efficient and effective metadata implementation of Cornerstone data
• Lead, Mentor & Build a high performing and highly engaged team with diverse talent. Contribute to recruiting top talent for the team and for EDA
• Provide knowledge and expertise to influence a broader data management culture across the Enterprise
• Work with Business Units to understand metadata pain-points and implementation of key metadata related initiatives
• Help define and manage metrics and KPIs to support business driven meaningful, actionable decisions
• Liaise with other partners (e.g., IT, Product Owners) to help prioritize and implement change management initiatives for enhancing capabilities and processes to support data consumer, steward, and custodian needs
• Collaborate with other data management colleagues (e.g., metadata) to help mature Data Management processes
• Provide input to establish, manage and track an Enterprise Metadata Management three year roadmap
• Demonstrate Project Management capabilities to drive business priorities and process improvement initiatives
• Manage customer expectations including scope, schedule, changes, and problem resolution
• Strong communication and negotiation skills combined with an ability to interact effectively with business leaders, data consumers and technologies
QualificationsCritical Factors to Success:
• Establish and manage the Metadata framework, Data Program including consistent metadata management processes and robust governance controls
• Must have excellent Stakeholder and people management, communication and influencing skills
• Must have strong analytical, problem solving and relationship skills
• Must have experience with writing queries SQL and/or HQL
• Must have strong project management and prioritization skills, and have a delivery focused mindset
• Partner with Technology and Infrastructure teams to deliver the capability features and platform enhancements via Agile framework for Metadata controls and other critical factors
• 6+ Years Of Systems / Programming / Technical or Project Management Experience
• Demonstrated knowledge and skills in Data Management, Data Governance, Data Quality, Metadata Management or Master Data Management
• Hands on knowledge and experience regarding Metadata management practices such as Business Term and Descriptions / Data analysis,metadata remediation, business impact analysis and dashboard creation
• Preferred – knowledge of Data Management Industry Tools and the implementation of tools within a large company
• Preferred – experience in managing direct reports
• Preferred experience using Hadoop Stack such as Hive, Python and Spark
• Preferred – Tableau experience is a plus
• Good Understanding of Payments / Financial industry & Systems will be a plus
• An advanced degree in IT or Computer Science. (MCA/ M-Tech / B-Tech)
Functional Skills / Capabilities:
• Strong analytical, people leadership and problem solving skills and a tremendous will to win.
• Excellent Interpersonal skills, Multitasking, and Thought-leadership skills with the ability to influence partners
• Excellent Communication, Collaboration, and Change Management skills
• Must be Customer focused, be an independent thinker and be self-motivated
• Must have experience working in a cross functional team with members across geographic locations
• Proficient in creating strong presentations to help deliver and drive a strong message
Technical Skills /Capabilities:
• Proficiency with SQL / Hive
• Knowledge of Big Data Ecosystems
• Understanding of Hadoop Stack, MapReduce framework, Spark, Hive, Python, PySpark is preferred
Enterprise Leadership Behaviors
• Set The Agenda: Define What Winning Looks Like, Put Enterprise Thinking First, Lead with an External Perspective
• Bring Others With You: Build the Best Team, Seek & Provide Coaching Feedback, Make Collaboration Essential
• Do It The Right Way: Communicate Frequently, Candidly & Clearly, Make Decisions Quickly & Effectively, Live the Blue Box Values, Great Leadership Demands Courage
Schedule (Full-Time/Part-Time): Full-time
Date Posted: Jan 14, 2020, 6:21:19 AM