As one of the world’s most widely recognized and respected brands, American Express is moving faster than ever to provide innovative payment, travel and expense management solutions for individuals and businesses of all sizes. Our focus is to introduce new products and services to make it easier, safer and more rewarding for consumers and businesses to purchase the things they need and for merchants to sell their goods and services.
The Director of Business Development will be a part of the U.S. Merchant Acquisition Team within Global Merchant Services. Global Merchant Services, the merchant network of American Express, acquires and maintains relationships with millions of merchants around the world who welcome American Express-branded cards. Merchant Acquisition, one of the fastest growing market segments in the industry, is the sales organization within Global Merchant Services dedicated to acquiring new merchant partners.
The Director of Business Development is responsible for managing a team of individual contributors (Managers of Business Development) who will be responsible for identifying new, high-value merchant prospects in a specified charge volume range in that individual’s marketplace and ultimately signing these prospects to openly welcome American Express cards as a form of payment in their business. The Director will be responsible for developing strategies to identify and acquire prospects across multiple industry categories to expand merchant coverage within his/her team’s territory.
Key responsibilities include:
• Effectively managing and motivating the team’s performance and sales success
• Providing regular and effective in-field coaching to develop each team member’s sales effectiveness
• Ensuring the team builds and manages profitable pipelines
• Deploying team against the most strategic markets and industries
• Gathering and sharing best practices, sales strategies, as well as marketplace & competitive intelligence when appropriate
• Serving as escalation point for team members to overcome both internal and external challenges
• Managing sales tracking reporting, expense processing, operating & marketing budgets for the team
• Ensuring proper business process and compliance controls
• Bachelor’s Degree
• 3-5 years of previous sales people leadership experience
• Strong track record of leadership and general management skills, such as recruiting, training, coaching, and developing top sales talent
• Proven history of driving and exceeding sales results through people leadership
• Applicant must have a valid U.S. driver's license and must be able to work from a home office environment
• Applicant must reside within the territory
• Some overnight travel required
• Excellent oral, written, interpersonal, and influencing skills
• Strong financial and business acumen
• Proficiency with PC applications is necessary (i.e. MS Office, Outlook, Excel, Power Point, Salesforce.com)
• Excellent sales, sales leadership, negotiation, and analytical skills
• Demonstrated ability to develop successful sales strategies
• Strong project and time management skills required
• Demonstrated ability to focus, prioritize and multi-task
• Must demonstrate a strong will to win and strong sense of teamwork
• Working knowledge of related American Express products and services a plus
A motor vehicle records check will be conducted for all successful candidates at the time of offer. Disclosure of all moving violations within the last 3 years (Including, but not limited to: Speeding Tickets, Refusal to submit to BAC (Blood Alcohol Content), Reckless Driving, Leaving scene of accident, and Drivers License suspension for moving violations) is required during the application process.
Employment eligibility to work with American Express in the U.S. is required as the company will not pursue visa sponsorship for these positions.
Schedule (Full-Time/Part-Time): Full-time
Date Posted: Feb 19, 2020, 2:26:38 PM