Why American Express?
There’s a difference between having a job and making a difference.
American Express has been making a difference in people’s lives for over 160 years, backing them in moments big and small, granting access, tools, and resources to take on their biggest challenges and reap the greatest rewards.
We’ve also made a difference in the lives of our people, providing a culture of learning and collaboration, and helping them with what they need to succeed and thrive. We have their backs as they grow their skills, conquer new challenges, or even take time to spend with their family or community. And when they’re ready to take on a new career path, we’re right there with them, giving them the guidance and momentum into the best future they envision.
Because we believe that the best way to back our customers is to back our people.
The powerful backing of American Express.
Don’t make a difference without it.
Don’t live life without it.
Senior Software Engineer – Digital Payments
We’re looking for an experienced engineer to work on API development on the mobile payments solutions that will be used by tens of millions of cardholders around the world. We want someone who is super creative and enjoys solving tough problems. You should be able to come up with brilliant solutions that no one else can, and be obsessive about API design and user experience.
You’ll be part of the Digital Payments Engineering team whose mandate is to develop new products and platforms for American Express customers. Digital Payments Engineering’s aim is to build interactive experiences at all touch points of a consumer's journey whether before, at, or after the time of purchase. The products will range from new payment vehicles and partnerships with other payment entities to interactive mobile and online experiences.
This is an opportunity to work in a fast-paced, agile environment within a Fortune 100 company where you can directly impact real dollars in revenue growth and operational savings. You will get a chance to interact with the world’s leading technology companies. Your primary responsibilities will be to work on a team of engineers in developing digital payment products. You’ll work with product managers to help define product direction, provide thought leadership on emerging technologies and create best of breed digital payment experiences that will set the standard for future development. You should be familiar with modern software development methodologies, and be able to dive deep and rapidly iterate on ideas despite ambiguity.
This is an opportunity to work on the latest mobile technologies and influence how millions of people interact with their cards, their merchants and their money.
- Perform hands-on architecture, design, development, and testing
- Eagerly and thoughtfully participate in code reviews
- Drive consistent development practices – tools and common components
- Develop deep understanding of current and potential integrations with other systems and platforms
- Identify opportunities to adopt new technologies to solve existing needs and improve productivity
- Drive the design, architecture and development of apps that are elegant, efficient, secure, highly available, and maintainable
- Foster a collaborative spirit across multiple teams
- Help other Amex teams benefit from our tools and practices
- Bachelors degree in Computer Science/Engineering and 10+ years of equivalent experience in related discipline
- Proven record of designing, developing, Java applications
- Demonstrated technical capabilities and ability to work collaboratively and effectively across functional area
- Ability to effectively disseminate knowledge and mentor other developers thorough code reviews and ad hoc pair-programming
- Experience working in high-performing, iterative development teams
- Experience with multi-threaded programming
- Thorough understanding of XML, JSON, and data structure fundamentals
- Thorough understanding of RESTful API design principles
- Self-motivated and able to thrive in a just-in-time environment
- Deep appreciation for being a part of a collaborative and cross-functional team
- Excellent interpersonal and organizational skills
- Understanding of lean principles and their manifestation in efficient software development practices is a plus
- Experience with payments technology is a plus
- Knowledge of iOS or Android is a plus
Schedule (Full-Time/Part-Time): Full-time
Date Posted: Feb 10, 2020, 4:26:58 PM