Why American Express?
There’s a difference between having a job and making a difference.
American Express has been making a difference in people’s lives for over 160 years, backing them in moments big and small, granting access, tools, and resources to take on their biggest challenges and reap the greatest rewards.
We’ve also made a difference in the lives of our people, providing a culture of learning and collaboration, and helping them with what they need to succeed and thrive. We have their backs as they grow their skills, conquer new challenges, or even take time to spend with their family or community. And when they’re ready to take on a new career path, we’re right there with them, giving them the guidance and momentum into the best future they envision.
Because we believe that the best way to back our customers is to back our people.
The powerful backing of American Express.
Don’t make a difference without it.
Don’t live life without it.
Join the Open Banking Enablement team and help American Express create a world class Third Party Developer Experience for Partner Developers around the world.
The Open Banking Enablement team is looking for individuals that thrive in a high demand, dynamic environment where your day-to-day activities can range from developing integration solutions with international governments to engaging with external Partners as they design connection patterns with American Express to diagnosing high volume APIs to creating high quality SDKs and documentation. The Open Banking Enablement team is American Express's Partner facing team for sharing Card Member data with authorized Partners in markets such as the United States, Europe, and Australia. We create and manage the Developer Experience for our Partners working closely with internal Amex teams that own core ecosystem components.
As a member of the Open Banking Enablement team, you will speak with and help Developers from external Partners use Amex's Open Banking APIs. You will create, update, and enhance API documentation and SDK packages. You will build market specific variations of the Open Banking APIs and develop and enhance the Open Banking platform supporting these APIs. It will be common to work with internal and external teams from many time zones and cultural backgrounds. And you will work closely with the extended American Express Open Banking team as we build and define how Open Banking transforms how American Express does business.
As our Technical Project Manager (TPM), you will facilitate the team's Agile Scrum ceremonies and assist with backlog refinement activities in partnership with the Product Owner. You will work with our leadership teams in defining priorities and communicating status, roadmaps, and achievements. Part of your day will be spent working with our external Partners, discussing integration strategies, on boarding activities, and coordinating support needs. Your skills in communication, collaboration, and organization will be used throughout the day as you work with internal Amex and external Partner teams from around the world.
- Maintains dependency plan between planned sprints/iterations across engineering, infrastructure, and third parties
- Breaks down barriers and shields the team from impediments precluding engineers from making progress against sprints and deadlines
- Organizes and facilitates daily stand-ups and retrospectives at the end of each sprint/iteration, and builds an environment in which the team is continuously learning from the past
- Influence without authority through effective change and leadership management.
- Engages with Product Owner, Business Stakeholders, and delivery team to understand Business needs and identify appropriate solutions
- Uses technical acumen to enable removal of impediments, ask probing questions, and support the team in technical issue resolution
- Facilitate discussions to identify alternative or different approaches to solve problems, break down barriers and drive resolution of conflicts to ensure productivity of the team.
- Steer and deliver project communications at all levels within Technology and Product to ensure transparency of development process and project performance, to coordinate critical issues and issue resolution, to facilitate decision-making, and to build trust.
- Create an environment of continuous improvement through reflective conversation and regular retrospectives, with the goal to surface issues/concerns and to identify clear action steps
- Facilitate Partner on boarding activities ensuring a Third-Party Developer Experience that compliments the Amex brand in Customer Service
- Contribute to and drive communication plans with our Third-Party Developers in collaboration with the Product and Strategy teams
Scope of Impact/Influence
- Works in partnership with Product Owners, and the core and extended team to build and prioritize the product backlog
- Responsible for tracking iteration progress, actively adding to design discussions, issue resolution and removing obstacles to ensure sprint/iteration commitments are met
- Coaches teams to embrace the Technology SDLC process, Agile values, principles and practices, and actively inspire teams to reflect and improve their delivery capacity
- Collaborates with the broader Open Banking team in defining Open Banking at Amex
Education & Experience
- Bachelor’s Degree in computer science, computer engineering, or other technical discipline, or equivalent work experience required; advanced degree preferred
- 6+ years of technical delivery experience with a demonstrated track record of growing responsibility
- Experience facilitating Agile, Scrum, or other rapid application development teams to deliver technology solutions on time, on budget, and to spec
- Experience with external Partner/Team engagement
- Experience with design and coding across one or more platforms and languages a plus
- PMI Agile Certification a plus
- Ability to influence without authority and gain alignment
- Ability to facilitate focused discussions to gain consensus
- Ability to steer and deliver communications to all levels of leadership and across organizations
- Ability to drive continuous improvement of the delivery team
- Strong servant-leadership skills
- Shown ability to deliver complex software features iteratively and reliably
- Deep understanding of SAFe or iterative development processes, including quality and testing best practices
- Possess a high degree of technical savvy, with a keen ability to learn new technology quickly and easily, storage related preferred
- Experience in defining customer experiences. Experience definition for developer communities a plus
Technology Core Competencies
- Adaptive Communication
- Agile Practices
- Industry and Company Knowledge
- Organizational Change Management
- Technical Acumen
- Technology Industry Trends
- Collaboration & Teamwork
- Continuous Improvement
- Servant Leadership
Role Core Competencies
- SDLC Methodologies and Practice
- System & Platform Domain Knowledge
- Systems Design
- Enterprise and Business Architecture
- Program Management
- Release and Deployment
- Requirements Gathering and Definition
- Analytical Thinking
- Builds High Performing Teams
- Coaching and Mentoring
- Decision Making
- Influence and Negotiation
- Relationship Management
- Business Product Knowledge
- Planning & Organizing
- Problem Solving
- Brand Management
- Prioritization Negotiation
- Customer Focused Communication
Schedule (Full-Time/Part-Time): Full-time
Date Posted: Feb 13, 2020, 2:10:33 AM