Why American Express?
There’s a difference between having a job and making a difference.
American Express has been making a difference in people’s lives for over 160 years, backing them in moments big and small, granting access, tools, and resources to take on their biggest challenges and reap the greatest rewards.
We’ve also made a difference in the lives of our people, providing a culture of learning and collaboration, and helping them with what they need to succeed and thrive. We have their backs as they grow their skills, conquer new challenges, or even take time to spend with their family or community. And when they’re ready to take on a new career path, we’re right there with them, giving them the guidance and momentum into the best future they envision.
Because we believe that the best way to back our customers is to back our people.
The powerful backing of American Express.
Don’t make a difference without it.
Don’t live life without it.
Stream Processing Engineer
At American Express, the Platforms and Frameworks teams are tasked with building the next generation of technologies as the foundation for the company. Those technologies launch us into new markets by crafting immersive experiences and products that become essential to our users.
The real-time processing team at American Express builds and operates a foundational platform that impacts our customer experience at American Express. We also build enterprise platforms on that foundation enabling us to provide insights feeding both internal and partner capabilities.
In this role, you will use your skills to create the real-time streaming and complex event processing platforms.
In addition to building the core platform for real-time processing, you will build higher level platforms on top of it to provide enterprise-wide capabilities. These future-looking platforms enable strategic capabilities for American Express and its partners.
You'll work among high performing engineering, design and product teams. Among some of the traits we are looking for are: deep technical knowledge, technical goal setting, contributing to product strategy, stubbornness against settling, bold decision-making, driving architecture decisions, and designing internet-scale solutions.
Does the above sound like you?
- Create a real-time event streaming and complex event processing platform.
- Create automated tests for code artifacts
- Use the continuous integration / continuous delivery pipeline for build, test, and deploy
- Actively contribute to design and technology discussions
- Participate in the agile development process
- Find opportunities and drive adoption of leading-edge technologies
- Own and drive solutions even in the presence of ambiguity
- Rapidly evolve skills as technology changes
Your performance is measured by the impact of the quality and engineering of the products you launch and by your ability to be a part of a high-performing multi-functional team that includes Product, Engineering, Design, Data, Finance, Business Development, and Operations.
- Significant experience as a Senior Engineer
· Scala (Optionally, very strong with Java and familiarity with functional programming)
· Stream Processing such as Spark Streaming or Flink
· Junit 4/5 or Spock
· Nice to have: Python
- Familiarity with modern build pipelines and tools
- Strong focus on writing automated tests for your own code
- Ability to perform benchmarking and optimization
- Ability to clearly describe trade-offs with users and peers about technology decisions
- Adept at researching and documenting insights
- Constantly push toward clarity and delivery while balancing the need for great collaboration
- Understanding and experience operationalizing products
- Willingness to identify and fill needs instead of narrowly defining scope of responsibility
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in the English language
- Ability to understand business requirements and turn them into technical requirements
- BA/BS degree in Computer Science or equivalent practical experience.
Employment eligibility to work with American Express in the U.S. is required as the company will not pursue visa sponsorship for these positions.
Schedule (Full-Time/Part-Time): Full-time
Date Posted: Mar 2, 2020, 12:59:48 PM