American Express is a global services company that provides consumers and businesses with exceptional access to products, insights and experiences that enrich lives and build business success.
We make it easier, safer and more rewarding for consumers and businesses to purchase the things they need and for merchants to sell their goods and services through innovative payment, travel and expense management solutions.
Working at American Express
Experiences That Back You
What you choose to do for a living is one of the most meaningful decisions you can make. At American Express, our job is to help you excel at yours. We provide experiences to become a great leader, a world of opportunities to grow your career, and an inclusive culture to help you thrive. Because the best way to back our customers is to back our people.
Reasons to Believe
• An iconic global brand, where you can grow as a leader
• Meaningful and rewarding work that is performed with integrity
• A culture of learning in collaboration with great colleagues and leaders
• A unique career journey shaped by your talent and curiosity
• Support and trust to thrive in your career and life
The Powerful Backing™ of American Express.
American Express is embarking on an exciting transformation driven by an energetic new team of high performers. This group is nimble and creative with the power to shape our technology and product roadmap. If you have the talent and desire to deliver innovative payment products and services at a rapid pace, serving our customers seamlessly across physical, digital, mobile, and social media, join our transformation team! You will be part of a fast-paced, entrepreneurial team responsible for delivering projects platform supporting our global customer base.
Our Engineers that join our Technologies team will be assigned to one of several exciting teams that are responsible for development and management of business critical platforms. You will be part of a fast-paced, entrepreneurial team responsible for delivering projects platform supporting our global customer base. You will be challenged with identifying innovative ideas and proof of concept to deliver against the existing and future needs of our customers. Our Software Engineers not only understand how technology works, but how that technology intersects with the people who count on it every day. Today, innovative ideas, insight and new perspectives are at the core of how we create a more powerful, personal and fulfilling experience for all our customers.
• Determine clear deliverables, roles and responsibilities for colleagues required for specific projects or initiatives. Working daily with the team to ensure tasks are actively progressing towards milestones.
• Navigate the organization to draw together teams to collaborate on project objectives.
• Have a strong sense of personal accountability and influence the team to take ownership of commitments.
• Be a natural communicator and capable of working with geographically diverse colleagues to collaborate on issues between teams and subject matter domains.
• Actively plan towards regular program increments and hold appropriate team rituals to align for successful delivery.
• Develop tribal knowledge into documented repositories and grow team culture.
• Cultivate relationships with stakeholders, evangelize the team mission and iterate on operating model to continuously improve
• Maintain dependency plan between planned sprints/iterations across engineering, infrastructure, and third parties
• Breaks down barriers and shields the team from impediments precluding engineers from making progress against sprints and deadlines
• Organizes and facilitates PI Planning, daily stand-ups and retrospectives at the end of each sprint/iteration, and builds an environment in which the team is continuously learning from the past
• Influence without authority through effective change and leadership management.
• Engage with Product Owner, Business Stakeholders, and delivery team to understand Business needs and identify appropriate solutions
• Use their technical acumen to enable removal of impediments, ask probing questions, and support team in technical issue resolution
• Facilitate discussions to identify alternative or different approaches to solve problems, break down barriers and drive resolution of conflicts to ensure productivity of the team.
• Steer and deliver project communications at all levels within Technology and business to ensure transparency of development process and project performance, to coordinate critical issues and issue resolution, to facilitate decision-making, and to build trust.
• Create an environment of continuous improvement through reflective conversation and regular retrospectives, with the goal to surface issues/concerns and to identify clear action steps.
Works in partnership with Product Owners, and the core and extended team to build and prioritize the product backlog
• Responsible for tracking iteration progress, actively adding to design discussions, issue resolution and removing obstacles to ensure sprint/iteration commitments are met
• Coaches teams to embrace the Technology SDLC process, Agile values, principles and practices, and actively inspire teams to reflect and improve their delivery capacity
Critical Factors to Success (Outcome Driven):
• Understand the business needs and design high quality software applications in timely manner to fulfill those needs
• Identify and adopt new technologies to solve existing business needs and predict future challenges.
• Put enterprise thinking first, connect the role’s agenda to enterprise priorities and balance the needs of customers, partners, colleagues & shareholders
• Lead with an external perspective, challenge status quo and bring continuous innovation to our existing offerings
• Demonstrate learning agility, make decisions quickly and with the highest level of integrity
• Lead with a digital mindset and deliver the world’s best customer experiences every day
• Bachelor’s Degree in computer science, computer engineering, or other technical discipline, or equivalent work experience required; advanced degree preferred
• 8+ years of technical delivery experience with a demonstrated track record of growing responsibility and experience with Global large scale programs development.
• Strong Experience facilitating Agile, Scrum, or other rapid application development teams to deliver technology solutions on time, on budget, and to spec
• Prior Application Development experience as an Engineer with at least one programming language and strong technical understanding of design patterns, microservice architecture, REST APIs, automation and cloud deployment.
• Strong Agile experience with a drive to coach others
Bachelor’s Degree in CS or CSE or Equivalent
• Strong analytical & strategic thinking skills
• Ability to interpret technical /business objectives and challenges
• Porting/Software Configuration
• Agile Methodologies
• Software development/ testing
• Object oriented analysis and design across multiple platform
• Designing High Availability applications
• Product Engineering Knowledge
• Knowledge of payment technologies
• Platform engineering knowledge (e.g Payments/Merchant services/Ecommerce/Supply chain management platforms)
• Source control (Git, Bitbucket, Svn, Stack overflow, etc.)
• Continuous Integration (Jenkins, Bambo, Maven, XLR, Cobertura, Mockito, SOAPUI, JMeter)
• Infrastructure Automation (Puppet, Chef, Ansible)
• Container Concepts (LXD, Docker)
• Orchestration (Kubernetes, Mesos, Swarm)
• Test automation, DevOps and Test Driven Development
Enterprise Leadership Behaviors
• Set The Agenda: Define What Winning Looks Like, Put Enterprise Thinking First, Lead with an External Perspective
• Bring Others With You: Build the Best Team, Seek & Provide Coaching Feedback, Make Collaboration Essential
• Do It The Right Way: Communicate Frequently, Candidly & Clearly, Make Decisions Quickly & Effectively, Live the Blue Box Values, Great Leadership Demands Courage
Schedule (Full-Time/Part-Time): Full-time
Date Posted: Mar 5, 2020, 1:08:40 AM