Don’t just work for a market leading global company. Help grow one.
American Express is a global service company, providing customers with exceptional access to products and experiences that enrich lives and build business success.
Each day, we make it easier, safer and more rewarding for consumers and businesses to purchase the things they need and for merchants to sell their goods and services, enabling them to do and achieve more.
We’re committed to becoming the world’s most respected service brand and daily deliver extraordinary service to our customers, constantly reinventing our ways of working to ensure we offer rich rewards that redefine expectations for our clients and ourselves.
Right now we have an exciting opportunity for a lawyer who will be part of the Global Privacy Legal team within the General Counsel’s Organization (GCO) here at American Express.
The lawyer will report to the lead EMEA Privacy Counsel. This position will be responsible for supporting, initiating and driving efforts to provide best-in-class data protection-focused legal advice across American Express (AXP) to ensure compliance with applicable EMEA and APAC data protection laws, rules and regulations. More specifically that lawyer will be responsible for helping to support, initiate and drive efforts to provide best-in-class data protection-focused legal advice across the American Express (AXP) enterprise to ensure compliance with applicable data protection laws, rules and regulations.
Responsibilities to include:
- Providing legal advice to AXP companies and affiliates in the UK and throughout EMEA on the full range data protection issues, including GDPR, Binding Corporate Rules, EU/US Privacy Shield, Interest Based Advertising and issues related to artificial intelligence;
- Providing privacy legal advice and support on collecting, sharing and accessing personal data, digital marketing initiatives, opt-out choices, etc., to ensure that AXP’s practices around personal data are in compliance with applicable law and company policies;
- Serving as data protection legal “subject matter expert” to colleagues in the GCO, AXP Privacy Office, Compliance and the businesses;
- Reviewing, negotiating and drafting data protection terms in vendor agreements, confidentiality agreements, privacy policies/notices/disclosures, etc.;
- Providing privacy-related legal advice concerning business transactions, including reviewing contracts with 3rd party vendors and business partners, performing privacy-related legal due diligence and drafting and negotiating applicable privacy-related provisions;
- Proactively monitoring and providing advice on legislative and regulatory developments in the areas of data protection in EMEA;
- Proactively engage and coordinate with regional lawyers in APAC to monitor regulatory trends and provide advice from a central team standpoint on key legal developments;
- Supporting the global privacy legal team in designing and delivering continuing legal education programs on privacy-related issues;
- Participating in and advising on various strategic initiatives related to cutting-edge privacy and data use issues.
Offer of employment with American Express is conditioned upon the successful completion of a background verification check, subject to applicable laws and regulations.
- Demonstrated relevant privacy experience providing legal advice (i.e. interpreting regulatory requirements, assessing privacy legal risks and negotiating Data Protection contractual provisions) in a law firm and/or as part of an in-house corporate legal environment department (in-house experience strongly preferred);
- Law degree (UK or EU) and bar admission;
- Corporate transactional background with experience negotiating and drafting a variety of complex commercial agreements, drafting privacy policies, etc.;
- Strong knowledge and relevant experience on of data protection matters regulations in across EMEA markets;
- Knowledge and a willingness to learn about the data protection landscape in several key Asia-Pacific markets where Amex operates (Singapore, HK, Thailand, India, and/or Japan);
- Prior financial services/fin tech experience a plus;
- CIPP/EU certification a plus;
- Strong and effective communication, interpersonal and client relationship/management skills;
- Team oriented and self-motivated, with a proactive, pragmatic attitude to help resolve novel, complex issues;
- Ability to handle multiple tasks (including those out of one’s comfort zone), prioritize work, and project manage in a deadline-intensive environment;
- Ability to understand details of business/operational/technology environment in applying legal and policy requirements;
- Willingness to accommodate global calls and travel (~10%)
- Willingness and flexibility to take on new responsibilities and challenges as American Express and its businesses continue to evolve
Why American Express?
There’s a difference between having a job and making a difference.
Amex have been making a difference in people’s lives for over 160 years, backing them in moments big and small, granting access, tools, and resources to take on their biggest challenges and reap the greatest rewards.
We’ve also made a difference in the lives of our people, providing a culture of learning and collaboration, and helping them with what they need to succeed and thrive. We have their backs as they grow their skills, conquer new challenges, or even take time to spend with their family or community. And when they’re ready to take on a new career path, we’re right there with them, giving them the guidance and momentum into the best future they envision.
Because we believe that the best way to back our customers is to back our people.
The powerful backing of American Express.
Don’t make a difference without it.
Don’t live life without it.
To complete your application please click on the links below. However, if you require any assistance with the completion of this process – or need any reasonable adjustments to be made – then please contact the Recruitment Team on email@example.com or 00800 83 000038 (free phone, subject to individual carrier charges). For Russia based candidates on 810 800 83 000038.
Schedule (Full-Time/Part-Time): Full-time
Date Posted: Mar 23, 2020, 12:11:06 PM