Managers in CRU are responsible for rating and underwriting credit exposures in their assigned region, industry, and business line. Fundamental analysis incorporates a thorough review of business, financial, industry and country risk coupled with support from internal and external model outputs. Assessment includes understanding of the need for credit extension, profitability of the relationship and program structures. Core responsibilities of the team include oversight of internal credit assessment, monitoring of public agency ratings, performing fundamental credit analysis, leading ongoing surveillance of issuers in the portfolio and working closely with internal teams that oversee business card programs. The candidate will also assist in advisement on other credit relationships American Express may have with related counterparties. The successful candidate for this position will work on a team within CRU that will monitor credit risk consisting mainly of corporate obligors and municipal obligors.
• Experience as a credit analyst or underwriter dealing with commercial exposures
• Understanding of public finance security structures, fundamental analysis techniques, Government Accounting Standards Board (GASB) and Financial Accounting Standards Board (FASB) rules, governmental functions and laws, public agency rating methodologies/definitions
• Experience preparing obligor-specific and industry-wide credit memorandums
• Develop subject matter expertise in CCAR reporting requirements, data governance & data quality metrics, in coordination with Corporate Risk Management and the broader capital management team
• Support ad hoc projects to further enhance and improve overall data processes, given either internal changes to the CCAR process or to externally imposed requirements from the Fed
• Minimum 1-2 years experience rating and / or underwriting at a leading financial institution or rating agency
• Bachelor’s degree from a top tier university with high GPA and a degree (or substantial coursework) in finance, accounting, economics, or statistics
• Strong MS Office skills
• Strong oral and written communications skills
• A bachelor’s degree with an emphasis in finance is preferred.
• Working towards Chartered Financial Analyst program candidacy a plus
Employment eligibility to work with American Express in the U.S. is required as the company will not pursue visa sponsorship for these positions.
Schedule (Full-Time/Part-Time): Full-time
Date Posted: May 21, 2020, 3:06:31 PM
American Express is an equal opportunity employer and makes employment decisions without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, age, or any other status protected by law.