About Network Strategy & Operations
It begins with a Card Member using their American Express Card at one of our millions of Merchants around the world—the rest is up to us. The Network Strategy & Operations team (NS&O) is at the heart of the American Express enterprise—powering millions of transactions through our global payments processing network, which we develop and manage.
NS&O is unique within the enterprise. We work across almost every business unit within the organization as well as interact with external partners, providers, and key industry stakeholders. We are known to be intellectually curious and problem solvers as we tackle the most imperative initiatives facing the payments industry today like securing online transactions and enabling faster, more convenient ways to pay. A role within NS&O will challenge you to broaden your skillset and industry acumen, while giving you the chance to be part of driving enterprise growth and helping deliver on our brand promise of trust, security and service.
The Global Network Policy team within NS&O develops policy/rules which govern American Express products and capabilities & protect the brand and ensures compliance with regulatory and legal requirements.
Reporting to Vice President Global Network Policy and Innovation, the Director for Credit/Debit Policy is,an exciting opportunity for a talented thought leader to drive a vision that will create and evolve the Network policy, process and platforms.
Key responsibilities of the role will include:
- Define What Winning Looks Like – Create, oversee and own strategic direction and planning for American Express Network policy
- Make Collaboration Essential – Lead the engagement with key stakeholders across American Express to understand customer needs and identify, prioritize, and plan delivery of new policies.
- Lead with an External Perspective – Lead the gathering and analysis of competitive intelligence and gaps with the global landscape. Ensure appropriate action is taken to ensure gaps are prioritized and closed.
- Build the Best Team – Lead and manage a highly engaged team of Policy Managers responsible for establishing and maintaining the American Express Network policy, including the policy roadmap.
- Drive Results – Lead development of new policy and evolve existing policy accordingly and in alignment with market needs and provide input and consultation for technical development to support new policies.
- Monitor relevant industry trends, competitive landscape, digital trends, and customer feedback to develop insights on products and inform the Network policy roadmap.
- Lead the creation of innovative solutions that capitalise on American Express’s business model, with robust business cases and key metrics for success.
- Provide thought leadership on new capability design and implementation, user guides, transaction flows, customer experiences, and performance criteria
- Payments industry experience, including debit/credit processing and policy, payment card debit/credit acquiring operations, debit/credit issuer operations, preferably, a combination of these experiences.
- People leadership experience including providing coaching, developing, motivating and inspiring team members.
- Four year college degree or equivalent is required, MBA preferred.
- Experience in Policy and/or Product Development preferred.
- Strong relationship and collaboration skills with the ability to influence a broad group of stakeholders across the organisation, at all levels.
- Track record for change management and delivery in complex and highly-matrixed organizations.
- High-intellectual curiosity, creative & critical thinker with the ability to understand new concepts quickly, deal with ambiguity and experience in complex problem solving and strategic thought leadership.
- Outstanding communicator with the ability to communicate complex topics in a clear and effective manner, adapting communications based on the audience.
- High energy, an optimistic attitude, and a good sense of humour
- Microsoft Office including Excel, Word, PowerPoint and Project
- Strong project management skills preferred.
- Strong negotiation and conflict management skills.
- Understanding of Agile methodology and practices.
- Strategic Orientation: S/he has the ability to create a multi-year roadmap and constant re-prioritization based on business value assessment. S/he can develop and execute on strategy to transform and optimize Network policies to address a rapidly changing external payments landscape.
- Collaboration and Influence: The successful candidate will have proven himself/herself as a strong collaborator in a dynamic and complex environment. Strong, engaging communication skills are required to effectively interact with the executive leadership, as well as key partners and global teams. S/he will naturally work across boundaries to achieve results and share best practices, engage colleagues to make joint decisions, recognize sources of conflict, and resolve these conflicts while balancing both short and long-term benefits.
- Team Leadership: Experience in leading, coaching, mentoring, and developing high performing teams. S/he inspires the team and leads by example. S/he recognizes and emphasizes strengths and helps shape team members’ career aspirations. S/he actively supports individual development by providing immediate, positive and constructive behavioral feedback and eliminating roadblocks towards success. S/he sets specific goals and accountabilities for the team and seeks input and opinion to help form specific decisions and plans. S/he is perceived as genuine and accessible and creates a diverse, collaborative, and high performing environment.
- Fostering Innovation: The successful candidate fosters a culture of curiosity in which learning and innovation is encouraged across all levels and partnerships. S/he constantly tests ideas without compromising policy and compliance boundaries to find new perspectives. S/he fosters an open dialogue and shares the ideas that emerge and channel them into impactful actions.
Schedule (Full-Time/Part-Time): Full-time
Date Posted: Sep 14, 2020, 1:36:03 PM
American Express is an equal opportunity employer and makes employment decisions without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, age, or any other status protected by law.