Our mission is to protect and strengthen American Express through legal expertise and strategic advice that helps our business partners manage risk, identify opportunities, and deliver on the company’s promise of exceptional products and services. Given the dynamic nature of the global payments industry and the valued partnership between our team and the business, we see it as imperative to attract and develop talented people by:
- Providing rich work experiences and opportunities for professional development
- Recognizing and rewarding those who drive and deliver results
- Respecting and valuing diversity, integrity, and personal accountability
- Serving as the senior assistant to the American Express Deputy Corporate Secretary
- Assisting the Deputy Corporate Secretary in all corporate secretarial functions with respect to the American Express Company, the publicly traded parent company
- Drafting the American Express Proxy Statement and managing the shareholder proposal process
- Assisting with management of the subsidiaries of the American Express Company
- Drafting governance policies, including committee charters and related policies
- Advising on insider trading and Section16 issues
- Acting in a leadership role in relation to corporate governance developments and drafting corporate policies and public disclosures
- Advising with respect to executive compensation matters
- Advising on ISS and Glass Lewis and other proxy advisory service positions and corporate responses
- Acting as a people leader of certain legal professionals in support of AXP corporate secretarial functions
- Leading preparation for the Annual Meeting of Shareholders
- Attending meetings and take minutes (as needed)
- Bachelor’s degree & J.D.; good standing member of a State Bar Association
- 6+ years of related legal experience, ideally at least two years in an in-house legal role
- Expertise on issues of corporate and U.S. securities laws
- Experience with coordination and filing of timely and continuous disclosure documentation with the U.S. SEC and the New York Stock Exchange
- Demonstrated knowledge of board governance, best practices, protocols and procedures
- Business oriented approach to problem solving
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Superior legal and analytic skills
- Excellent legal judgment and drafting skills
- Detail oriented
- High level of personal accountability
- Ability to work well under pressure and to manage heavy workload in a challenging and fast-paced environment
- Executive presence and excellent oral communication skills
- Location: 200 Vesey St, New York, NY 10285
- Visa Sponsorship: Employment eligibility to work with American Express in the U.S. is required as the company will not pursue visa sponsorship for this position.
There’s a difference between having a job and making a difference.
American Express has been making a difference in people’s lives for over 170 years, backing them in moments big and small, granting access, tools, and resources to take on their biggest challenges and reap the greatest rewards.
We’ve also made a difference in the lives of our people, providing a culture of learning and collaboration, and helping them with what they need to succeed and thrive. We have their backs as they grow their skills, conquer new challenges, or even take time to spend with their family or community. And when they’re ready to take on a new career path, we’re right there with them, giving them the guidance and momentum into the best future they envision.
Because we believe that the best way to back our customers is to back our people.
Don’t live life without it.
Schedule (Full-Time/Part-Time): Full-time
Date Posted: Jun 28, 2020, 11:01:00 PM
American Express is an equal opportunity employer and makes employment decisions without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, age, or any other status protected by law.