The Global Risk & Compliance Organization (“GRC”) ensures the company operates in a safe, sound and fully compliant manner within all applicable regulatory expectations. We create and maintain the overall risk management framework while ensuring legal and regulatory compliance.
We are passionate about our commitment to drive the company’s goals of growth and progress by creating a culture of awareness and proactivity around regulatory matters, and by partnering closely with business units across the enterprise to ensure we deliver maximum value to our shareholders and our customers efficiently and effectively.
Global Risk and Compliance is currently hiring within the Compliance organization. What type of work can you expect to do in within Compliance?
- The Global Compliance and Ethics organization plays a critical role in protecting the Company, our brand and colleagues through practical, solution-focused guidance on regulatory and ethics-related matters.
- A team of compliance officers work closely with the General Counsel's Office, business units, staff groups, and risk professionals across the company to provide standards and guidance in the development, implementation and maintenance of comprehensive compliance programs and to promote a strong risk management culture.
- Customer Communications and Procedure Reviews: Conduct reviews of non-marketing customer communications, for example letters, website content and operational procedures. Providing the relevant teams with clear, accurate and timely feedback on submitted materials.
- Advisory: Support the UK business through the handling of day to day queries and advising on new business initiatives.
- Compliance Programme/ Policies: Ensures the compliance programme for the UK is documented in compliance manuals and procedures, and regularly updated and maintained.
- Regulatory: Assists the UK Market Compliance Officer and Team with the handling of regulatory matters and governance including responding to regulatory requests, dealing directly with regulatory bodies and ensuring compliance with key regulatory requirements.
- Co-ordination/ Reporting: Co-ordinates with Line of Business Compliance Officers in the UK by attending regular meetings and implement and maintain regular reporting.
- Continuing education: stays current on compliance topics by attending events, seminars and meetings arranged by law firms and professional associations.
- Compliance Risk Assessment: Assist with identifying UK related risks and assist the relevant businesses in mitigating UK regulatory risks.
- Other: Deal appropriately with other staff and control functions and perform other tasks as requested or necessary from time to time to support the effective running of the overall UK Compliance program.
The Summer Internship Programme commences in June 2021 for 10 weeks. It consists of the following components:
- Introduction to American Express through an induction day and training sessions
- Meaningful projects which will have real business impact
- Regular Speaker Series with senior management
- Social and networking events
- Structured performance management process and regular feedback
Do you have what it takes to build a career here?
- Demonstrated experience building, sustaining and leveraging relationships
- Strong work ethic, organizational skills and attention to detail with excellent follow-up skills
- Demonstrated willingness to take initiative and act decisively
- Ability to think strategically and influence teammates on multiple, cross-functional teams
- Positive, can-do attitude embracing Growth Mindset
- Project management skills with the ability to prioritize and multitask
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- Ability to organize, manage, analyze, and interpret large amounts of data to identify trends and themes
- Proven ability to translate highly technical and complex information into easily understandable terms
- Superior Microsoft Office skills with emphasis on Excel and PowerPoint
- Knowledge of regulatory environment would be preferred
- Currently enrolled in a full-time undergraduate degree programme (Law, History or English is preferred) in your penultimate year of study
- A minimum A Level requirement (or equivalent) of AAB and a predicted 2:1 degree or international equivalent
How do I make a successful application?
- In order to make a successful application please ensure that you answer the below questions in your cover letter:
- Why American Express?
- Why Global Risk & Compliance?
- What key strengths do have that would make you a successful graduate within Global Risk & Compliance?
- Your cover letter and CV will be shared with hiring managers, please ensure you spend the time to provide detailed, well researched responses to the questions. We expect cover letters to be around a page long.
Why American Express?
There’s a difference between having a job and making a difference.
American Express has been making a difference in people’s lives for over 160 years, backing them in moments big and small, granting access, tools, and resources to take on their biggest challenges and reap the greatest rewards.
We’ve also made a difference in the lives of our people, providing a culture of learning and collaboration, and helping them with what they need to succeed and thrive. We have their backs as they grow their skills, conquer new challenges, or even take time to spend with their family or community. And when they’re ready to take on a new career path, we’re right there with them, giving them the guidance and momentum into the best future they envision.
Because we believe that the best way to back our customers is to back our people.
The powerful backing of American Express.
Don’t make a difference without it.
Don’t live life without it.
Equal Opportunities Statement
American Express is an equal opportunity employer and makes employment decisions without regard to race, colour, religion, sex, national origin, disability, or any other status protected by law
If you require any assistance with the completion of this process – or need any reasonable adjustments to be made – then please contact the Campus Recruitment Team on firstname.lastname@example.org
This role may be subject to additional background verification checks.
please note, applications are reviewed in batches and it is advantageous to apply early. The deadline to apply for this position is 20th Novemeber 2020.
Schedule (Full-Time/Part-Time): Full-time
Date Posted: Oct 28, 2020, 5:28:33 PM